It's true. My 1st ever job was as a Mobile DJ having just left school at 18.
That was way back in nineteen hundred and neveryoumind. However, many of you will already know me from the B2B Sales Training company, Sales Marvel
6 Things You Probably Didn't Know About Me
1. As a teenager, I was in the Air Training Corps (RAF Cadets), which I originally wanted to pursue as a career; that was until my Uncle Mauri schlepped in and persuaded me to join BT as an apprentice engineer.
Next month, my apprenticeship cohort will meet to celebrate our 40th work anniversary!
Here’s a picture from September 1982 🤦♂️ - can you guess which one is me?
Answer at the bottom 👇
2. I used to be a DJ 💿🎧: I was a mobile deejay down on the South Coast, where I played to the dozen or naval bases around the Portsmouth area.
Fortunately, I can mix dance music much better than I can actually...dance 🕺
3. I have been sober for 35 years - my last alcoholic drink was 21st April 1987. Whilst DJing, I ran into difficulties with alcohol* - 1 drink was too many but 100 wasn’t nearly enough.
*If you need help dealing with alcohol addiction, support is available for you here
** If you are supporting someone else with alcohol addiction, I recommend this organisation
4. I was baptised into the Church of England, Easter 2004 at Guildford Cathedral - where they filmed The Omen (I know).
My 3 children were also christened there.
5. I used to have a morbid fear of sharks 🦈 thanks to the movie Jaws, to the point where I couldn’t even go back in the sea, no matter how often we were told it was safe to go back in the water. I also shuddered whoever I saw a shark on TV!
I was only "cured" of this irrational fear in 2011 on a visit to the marvellous Key West aquarium where we fed Grey Nurse sharks without getting our limbs torn off. It’s been safe to go back in the water ever since.
6. I’ve been incredibly fortunate to have lived and worked around the world selling technology and telecoms to Investment Banks in London, New York and Tokyo.
I love that I can now take all that sales experience and coach my SME and Solopreneur coaching clients for growth.
Not bad for a boy from the buildings...but I'm just getting started.
Did you guess which one is me?
Yep. Top right with the white trousers 😱
Hardly changed a bit 😂😂😂
*New Sales Masterclass series starts soon ; more info here